Wednesday, March 14, 2012
(2) A summary of the plot of your selected.
(3) An analysis of how your plot is similar to each step of the Faustian tale.
(1) It was said, Faust was a doctor who had given his soul to devil for the knowledge of everything and authority. He believed devil more than God, angles, and he was enchanted by the knowledge and power that didn't belong to him. Because of his greedy, he gave devil the chance to control his mind, the most important thing of human. A Faustian tale basically included several elements which were a devil, a curse, and a main role who was very greedy. The main character controled by devil became not as good as he used to.
(2) The song Wrapped around your finger is sang by The Police. The first line, You consider me the young apprentice, briefly describe the person (the Me) under control of another person, his master (the You). The person covets knowledge which will make him smarter than his master. (Staring at the ring around your finger I have only come here seeking knowledge) and the gold ring held by the master represents destiny. The Caught between the Scylla and Charibdes says that it is very hard for him to have the decision wheather to believes his master or not. Then the I'll be wrapped around your finger I'll be wrapped around your finger tells that he choses to believe his master, and submit to his control.
However, the song writer describes although the person has given his soul to the devil, Mephistopheles, he is still him, he is not going to become another devil. And after he finish listening his master's teach, he is going to vanish for a while, and plan to surprise his master. Therefore in the last paragraph, Oh, you'll be wrapped around my finger You'll be wrapped around my finger You'll be wrapped around my finger shows he has control over his former master.
(3) Actually the song is talking about Faust. Both main roles want the power of knowledge and finally were enchanted by devil's lure, and let devil control their soul. They have a hard time to choose between right and wrong before they were hooked by demon. And the last few parts of the song is another allusion of Faust which talks about essentially Faust is not a demon, he is just controlled by it. Yet, Faust still deviate from his own life.